Checkout the online shop for new parts and service for you ride!

Click Here www.hughshandbuilt.com for more info on parts! Thanks - Hughs.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Rubber Tank Mount

Alot of Japanese, British and French bikes have those funny little rubber mounts under the tank.  I wanted to reuse the OEM tank mounts on my Motobecane tank, but I had to get a bit creative making that happen.

Here is what I am describing.  You can see the half cup mounts, that typically ride on rubber pucks on the frame.


So I took some measurements, and found the GM Hood Adjusters would do the trick quite nicely!  I like finding things to use on my projects that others might be able to find easily.  Most auto parts houses can get these for you, or in my case, I found them on the shelf at Fastenal.  At $1.33 each, they would work quite well.


I went to work on the lathe, making a nice mount for them to nestle into the fuel tank with.


If you don't have access to a lathe, you can make these with some tubing and a couple of 5/16-18 bungs.  Always try to think of what you can do using the tools you have/have access to.  I built my first major project with only a 110 Flux Core Welder, a Hand Drill, and an Angle Grinder...  Having the tools is nice, but not required. 

I trimmed down the bolts on the Hood Adjusters, as my mount would be narrow and they were a bit too long.


It goes together a little something like this:


It fit into the tank cups perfectly!


Got the front tank mount onto the frame.  Had to make the mount angled to clear my coil mounts, and I plan to run my wiring through the frame here.  


Then onto the rear tank tab.  I started with some flat stock.  I don't care for a a flat stock tab over a round tube, so some work had to be done.  

First, I got the tank fitted up where I wanted it.  



Then I took some flat stock, and shaped it over my vice.  You can do this yourself, by setting the vice jaws a bit narrower than the material, and working it over with a Ball Peen Hammer.  






 Starting to take shape.  


 

Drill a hole, and weld it onto the tank.  I'll add a 5/16-16 Bung under this tab onto the frame.  I usually leave this hole a bit larger to compensate for tank alignment and position.  My tank in particular is NOT perfect left/right so I will have to cheat the eye a bit. 


So there ya have it.  I did make my coil mounts at the same time, I'll be running 2 Dyna Coils.  They are small, pack a punch, and will work well with my rephased engine going in this thing.   The best part - both coils will be completely hidden under the tank.    All in all, this was a good productive day on an otherwise very slow going build...


1 comment:

  1. dude looks great. I dig it. I wish I had done something like that on my KZ maybe it would have actually worked!

    ReplyDelete

Checkout the online shop for new parts and service for you ride!

Click Here www.hughshandbuilt.com for more info on parts! Thanks - Hughs.