Here is what I am describing. You can see the half cup mounts, that typically ride on rubber pucks on the frame.
So I took some measurements, and found the GM Hood Adjusters would do the trick quite nicely! I like finding things to use on my projects that others might be able to find easily. Most auto parts houses can get these for you, or in my case, I found them on the shelf at Fastenal. At $1.33 each, they would work quite well.
I went to work on the lathe, making a nice mount for them to nestle into the fuel tank with.
If you don't have access to a lathe, you can make these with some tubing and a couple of 5/16-18 bungs. Always try to think of what you can do using the tools you have/have access to. I built my first major project with only a 110 Flux Core Welder, a Hand Drill, and an Angle Grinder... Having the tools is nice, but not required.
I trimmed down the bolts on the Hood Adjusters, as my mount would be narrow and they were a bit too long.
It goes together a little something like this:
It fit into the tank cups perfectly!
Got the front tank mount onto the frame. Had to make the mount angled to clear my coil mounts, and I plan to run my wiring through the frame here.
Then onto the rear tank tab. I started with some flat stock. I don't care for a a flat stock tab over a round tube, so some work had to be done.
First, I got the tank fitted up where I wanted it.
Then I took some flat stock, and shaped it over my vice. You can do this yourself, by setting the vice jaws a bit narrower than the material, and working it over with a Ball Peen Hammer.
Starting to take shape.
So there ya have it. I did make my coil mounts at the same time, I'll be running 2 Dyna Coils. They are small, pack a punch, and will work well with my rephased engine going in this thing. The best part - both coils will be completely hidden under the tank. All in all, this was a good productive day on an otherwise very slow going build...